Thursday, September 15, 2011

run away

I was talking to a friend about 6 weeks ago about waiting for your "aha" moment. I told her that I felt like I was waiting around for something to come down and strike me and make me fit. Like magically I would just decide that I would change my life and get to the place that I wanted to be in.

Every morning for our warm up at bootcamp we have to do a run. I drove my car to where we run to clock just how long this torturous little strip of road is. TO my surprise it was only 1.5 kms, because at 6am it feels like 10k.

I decided that in order to improve my time and my cardio that I am going to do this 1.5km run every day that I am not at bootcamp. This will get me to 10.5 km a week. So I packed up the girls and drove over to the strip and strapped them in to the stroller.This was a very new experience for my older daughter, she didn't quite understand why I was going to run. At best we walk around the mall in the stroller, but the promise of a park playdate after our run convinced her that this was a really good thing to do.

I walked a few minutes lined up with the mark on the road and then we were off.  The first half is killer to me. My legs pound the pavement, I feel like I can hardly breathe and I want to quit. Running with the stroller is harder than I thought it would be, but I figure that anything that makes it harder, makes it better. Every now and then I would look down and catch my littlest one peeking up at me with the biggest smile, and even though she can't talk I know that she is telling me that I am doing awesome and that she is having fun.

I made it to the end of the road, banged the road sign and turned around to go back to the beginning. Half way home the older girl wanted out of the stroller, she wanted to run too. I let her jump out and she ran, she kept up and she gave me super powers!

Having her jump out of the stroller and run beside me was my "aha" momnet. I had it, I had my momnet. It was an amazing feeling having her be beside me. I can't even explain it to me. We finished the run and I was proud of her and she was proud of me. We hugged and gave each other a high five and she asked if we could do it again.

Part of this journey for me is to teach my girls about being healthy, being a good role model and being healthy. In the three weeks since I have started eating better I can already see a difference in my older daughtwer. She isn't asking for junk, because she isn't seeing me eat it, instead she is asking for apples and oranges, and I even overheard her singing a song about how fruit has good sugar and makes us happy and healthy. It made me proud that she is picking up on what I am doing.

So today is Thursday and we are off for our run again today, I am hoping that it won't rain before we go, but I think she might like that even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your kind words, they mean a lot to me and I read each and every one!