Tuesday, September 06, 2011

YES DRILL SERGEANT!!!

Today was my first day of bootcamp. I got up at 5:30am...ugh... Bootcamp starts at 6.

I made my way over, and I was nervous. I had to pee, I wanted to vomit and my heart was racing.

I was the only one there, and then the other ladies started trickling in. I watched them circle the field and joined in at the back. We did a few laps and then we were off. The first Monday of the month is stat day. We get our measurements done, and we do timed trials to get a baseline so we can track our progress over the month.

First up, almost a 2 km run. "Run what you can and walk if you need to."

Riggghhht. Run you say... This should be interesting. 


I start running slowly... a jog lets say. I watched as everyone sped away and I was at the back, just like always. The running was killing me.

Ugh... this sucks... my feet already hurt, is that me knee clicking? what the hell... who runs at 6am? I have only been awake for a half hour. Why would she make me run without any lead up? what if I collapse out here?

I could see the other women already turning around to come back and I wasn't even half way yet.

OMG! this is going to take me the whole hour.

I could feel a lump gathering in my throat. It made it even harder to breathe.

I finally got to the end of the road and started making my way back, and surprised myself that even though I was running slowly, I was still running. I ran a few more minutes, and stopped to stretch out my shins and calves, and picked right back up running. I could see a few of the other women already leaving the road heading back to the camp.

"keep running, you can do it. No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everyone on the couch, you are still lapping everyone on the couch."


As I got closer I could make out my trainer, and I could see that a few women were waiting fpr me at the end. I got another lump in my throat. As I inched closer to the school yard the started walking towards me.

"great, now I am really going to cry, go away, go away, go away, ok... keep coming towards me then."

Then they started jogging to me, and I could hardly breathe. We met and they told me how great I was doing, and that I could finish, and I started to cry.

"Thanks for waiting guys.... blubber blubber"


We walked back to camp and I attempted to start breathing again. As I got back to my mat, my trainer whispered "Great job Leanna, mark down 13:21 as your time."

Thanks! I did better than I thought and I ran the whole way.

We picked up our weights and I thought I was going to vomit.

But I didn't, and that is all that matters.

1 comment:

  1. My first bootcamp experience winded me completely. They offered it as a makeup class when I missed Pilates once. I had to sit in the car for 20 minutes after it was over because I was too dizzy to drive home. Ivan the instructor had us do burpees in between laps...I wanted to die. Congrats on taking this on!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for your kind words, they mean a lot to me and I read each and every one!